Sunday, June 9, 2013

My Creative Scrapbook - Tutorial


Hello!I'm here today with a tutorial and tip using the June Main Kit from My Creative Scrapbook I just love the look of stitching on my layouts! Rather than the usual borders and circles, I wanted to try a fun shape for my background. How about a butterfly?! Perfect for summery photos… or my precious granddaughter! 
 
  I started by printing the shape from an online site that shares free coloring pages. Looking through your kids’ coloring books is another great source!
  After cutting out the shape, I lightly traced it onto my background paper.
 I hand stitched around the shape.
 Once the stitching was complete I used a stencil/mask and distress ink to add texture to the butterfly. I added a little color to the background paper by spritzing on a couple colors of mist, using the original shape to cover and protect the stitching and masking.
   How fun would it be to use an apple on your school pages, or a pumpkin for fall photos?!
 
 Another fun tip…I love the pattern portions on the top of the chipboard pages.  Not wanting to toss them, I cut the top off with my craft knife,
 added some ribbon to the pre-punched holes,
and had a cute little border to add to my layout!

For more tips and tutorials check out the My Creative Scrapbook Blog!

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

JAVAGIRL said...

So adorable

kate blue said...

cute layouts...love the white space and thanks for the tip- I had no idea that's how folks stitched those shapes on their layouts! Now here's hoping I have the patience to sew continuously since I am not a good stitcher!

Janis said...

Love how you did that butterfly...and the hand-stitching around gives a wonderful look!

Did you ever choose a winner for your blog candy during the PaperHaus Blog Hop?

Joke sk said...

I don't see the Pictures. :(

Can you send me the http://dancingintherainjb.blogspot.nl/2013/06/my-creative-scrapbook-tutorial.html
tutorial?

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Joke Staal.
jokesk@live.nl